The Health Benefits of Water Skiing- Got Water ? #BrainHealth
If you love the outdoors and you love the water, going to the beach or surfing, waterskiing is an extension of that. But beyond the enjoyment of the activity, there’s an added thrill to waterskiing, much like in surfing and kitesurfing. There’s the adrenaline rush as well, because you’re holding onto a piece of rope on the back of a boat that might be traveling up to 40 miles per hour.
Here are Health Fitness Revolution‘s list of the health benefits of water skiing:
- Muscle Toning: There’s a misconception that waterskiing is all about the lower body, but it’s simply not true. It uses every muscle in your body. It develops your posture and your shoulders and arms become quite strong because you’re getting pulled by your arms.
- Increased Balance and Core Strength: getting up on the skis- and staying up- require you to develop both your balance and core strength.
- Resistance Training: water skiing forces you to hold yourself up and keep going using resistance. It works core muscles, arm muscles, leg muscles, and all the muscles around them. It’s also a lot safer that using free weights which can strain your muscles, and they don’t even work the whole body.
- Easy on the Joints: Water skiing uses just about every muscle in the body without wearing down joints because it is all body weight resistance in free range of motion.
- Promotes strong legs: Tones up your legs fast. They absorb the energy of crossing the bumpy wake behind the boat, control your direction and are bent in a half-squat throughout, giving you particularly strong quads.
- Meditative aspect: Being on the water, much like in sailing, can have a calming effect on the mind and forces you to focus on the task at hand, forgetting about the day to day stresses and worries. Not to mention that the endorphins from being active will keep you happy and healthy!
- Calorie burning: an hour session on water skis will burn about 400 calories.
- Good for Overall Health: As with all forms of physical exercise, water skiing can reduce or eliminate your risk for many health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity. It can also reduce your risk for coronary heart disease by reducing your triglyceride levels and increasing your “good” cholesterol.